Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Triathlon excitement

I was asked to share this video about Olympic speed skater Apolo Ohno teaming up with Chocolate Milk to train to compete in the Kona Ironman.  I watched him train at the Olympic Oval for several years while running on the track around it.  I respect and value the qualifying for this world championship special event, and the small random lottery they offer and hope to qualify someday.  Hopefully anyone that gets in feels the privilege that it is.
While I don't consider chocolate milk as true sports nutrition, I do agree with Apolo that it tastes good, is easily accessible, and has a reasonable carb/protein ratio.  While I wouldn't use it during activity (stomach could be really upset with milk), if I had access to nothing else, chocolate milk for after a workout would be a good option.  It is really important to put good calories back into your body after a strenuous workout within 20 minutes of being done.
This series looks interesting and got my triathlon juices flowing a bit.  I assume he will do fine because as an athlete he knows how to work and is fit, but it will be interesting to see just how he does with each of the three disciples and the multi hour endurance vs short track fast twitch speed.  He has some amazing coaches and training partners lined up, that's for sure.

No comments: